Hunter College City University of New York
Social Sciences Computing Lab, HE B119
firstname.lastname@example.org, (212) 772-5605
Work-study Position: Lab Assistant
Time and Leave Policy: Lateness and Absence
All Work-study Lab Assistants are expected to abide by the rules of Hunter College and The Social Sciences Computing Lab (SSCL). These rules, regarding absence and lateness, apply to everyone working at the SSCL. No exceptions will be made for specific individuals, unless it is of health concern or some kind of emergency, and we are notified in advance.
The Lateness and Absence policy is as follows:
- Advance notice (at least 4-12 hours before the start of the shift depending on circumstances) should be given for all students that cannot make it in time for their shift. At least 4 hours of prior notice is acceptable; 12 hours of prior notice is preferred (this also applies to the absence policy in the next section).
- Please do not make it your coworkers’ responsibility to tell us you are late, send an e-mail yourself.
- If students do not show up in time for their shift, they cannot stay later to make up those hours lost due to lateness.
- Each student is allowed 3 sick and 3 additional vacation days (6 total EXCUSED absences) per semester. If you exceed 3 sick days, students must provide valid proof (example: doctor’s notice). If you exceed 6 excused absences without prior notice, these will be considered UNEXCUSED absences. Accumulation of excessive unexcused absences will be considered disinterest on your part which will lead to your removal from the staff schedule (see “Staff Scheduling and Break Policy”) and/or an “Employee Warning Notice”, also commonly known as a “write-up” (see “Employee Warning Notice Policy”).
- An EXCUSED absence requires at least 4-12 hours of advance notice. Advance written notice is preferred via e-mail. If you are leaving a hand-written written notice make sure to get a signature from a supervisor. Phone messages are also acceptable in emergencies, but they do not secure proof that you notified us (it is not guaranteed that a supervisor will answer your phone call).
- Each vacation day requires at least 48 hours advance notice.
- All lab assistants are expected to be present their entireshift, and contribute to the work environment. (If everyone is cleaning and you’re just sitting there we have a problem). If you are missing for the majority of your shift or refuse participation, this can be considered an unexcused absence.
- Early leave will be allowed in cases of emergency, but must be approved by a supervisor beforehand. Otherwise, it will be considered a sick day.
Priority for scheduling, and extra hours, will be given to students that regularly follow these rules. We hold the right to deny hours for those students who abuse these policies. All students’ award money will be taken into account and their hours will be distributed accordingly at the start of each semester. We are not responsible for the money you have left over in your work study award if you were denied hours for negligence.
Social Sciences Computing Lab Staff
I have read, and understand, the Time and Leave Policy of the SSCL, and agree to them. I understand that if I do not follow the given conditions, the SSCL reserves the right to deny, or take away, my preferred hours.
Signature: _______________________________________________ Date: ____________________
Printed Name: _______________________________________ (This area must be legible; otherwise, you must scan this paper AFTER you sign it and type your name in this space. Scanners are located on the B2 and 4th floors of the library).
Last Updated: 08/10/16