Hunter College City University of New York
Social Sciences Computing Lab, HE B119
firstname.lastname@example.org, (212) 772-5605
Work-study Position: Lab Assistant
Staff Scheduling and Break Policy
All Work-study Lab Assistants are expected to abide by the rules of Hunter College and The Social Sciences Computing Lab (SSCL). These rules, regarding staff scheduling and breaks, apply to everyone working at the SSCL. The SSCL staff put a great deal of effort into ensuring that no employee is scheduled to work when they have class or other obligations, and fulfilling our commitment to providing a week’s notice on future staff schedules.
Thus, the Staff and Scheduling policy is as follows:
- We request that employees return that courtesy by making requests to add or change shifts NO LATER than the Monday of the week in question.
- We expect you, the employee, to check your hours for the coming week well in advance. If you know you will not be able to work any of your assigned hours, you are OBLIGATED to notify us at email@example.com immediately. Do not wait until the day you cannot work. Any requests left on a sticky note/phone call will not be counted unless they are given directly to a supervisor. If you fail to notify us in advance it will count as an UNEXCUSED absence. If you accumulate too many UNEXCUSED absences, we will typically interpret this as disinterest on your part in the hours we have given you and remove you from the staff schedule.
- Lab Assistants should NOT discuss schedule changes with Nick, the prime scheduling staff are supervisors Yoshiko, Zara, Ingrid, Poli, Jashleen, and Glyne, unless he addresses you about these changes.
- Lab Assistants should NOT be clocking in their physical timesheet more than 15 minutes prior to their scheduled shift AND should be entering their start time and end time on NextGen according to their schedule (not an extra half hour here and there). If lab assistants are not needed past their scheduled endtime, they must clock out. Do not linger around the office especially when space is limited.
- Lab Assistants should be clocking in and out ONLY on their own timesheet.
- Lab Assistant should be present in either the lab or in the office when they are clocked in. If there is no space in the office AND there is a class in session, lab assistants may be seated in the Socrates Center or elsewhere on the B1 level upon approval of a supervisor.
- If a lab assistant needs to run a personal errand (i.e. financial aid) they must notify a supervisor in advance (students cannot take breaks during transition periods, or if they are the only one in the lab). Anyone gone more than 20 minutes must clock out.
- There is no such thing as “making up hours.” If you have missed your shift it is not our duty to schedule you for more hours that week.
- A. If you are working a minimum of a 5 hour shift, you are permitted to leave for a 30 minute lunch break
- B. If you are working a minimum of an 8 hour shift, you are permitted to leave for a 1 hour lunch break and two 15 minute breaks.
- C. ALL breaks must be approved by a supervisor BEFORE you leave the lab and you must clock in and out for every break.
Priority for scheduling, and extra hours, will be given to students that regularly follow these rules. We hold the right to deny hours for those students who abuse these policies. All students’ award money will be taken into account and their hours will be distributed accordingly at the start of each semester. We are not responsible for the money you have left over in your work study award if you were denied hours for negligence.
Social Sciences Computing Lab Staff
I have read, and understand, the Staff Scheduling and Break Policy of the SSCL, and agree to them. I understand that if I do not follow the given conditions, the SSCL reserves the right to deny, or take away, my preferred hours.
Signature: _______________________________________________ Date: ____________________
Printed Name: _______________________________________ (This area must be legible; otherwise, you must scan this paper AFTER you sign it and type your name in this space. Scanners are located on the B2 and 4th floors of the library)
Last Updated: 08/10/16